Monday 29 September 2014

The Web of Peace

The web that shows our connections to one another
(Kibera Slum, Nairobi Kenya 2013)
It is astonishing to me how when we share an experience, a techniques, a story, or ourselves with someone, it can have a ripple effect that spreads far and wide. Such is the nature of peace-building.

Recently I presented my research at the International Peace Research Conference in Istanbul - you can have a look at that on my last post. What I wrote for publication and how I present my research findings are so different. When presenting I get caught up in the experiences I have had and tend to omit the references and academic jargon that is so appropriate for academic paper.

While I was at the conference, to show how we are all connected I led an activity in which we created a web - different strands of coloured raffia, held by individuals who shared their narrative and found connections with one another.  I had used this method in Kenya, both as a means of intercultural communication and to build relationships and communities that had been severed because of conflict and violence. Although I personalized the technique, I was originally been inspired to use such a technique through the work of Jennifer Ball and Carolyn Webb.

Rebecca Rovitt, Associate Professor in Theatre at University of Kansas Lawrence complimented me by using this interactive tool during her first meeting with theatre students Script Analysis class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be published once it has been moderated