Sunday 21 October 2012

Peace and strategic arts-based practice

In 1969 I was a child living in the Republic of Ireland when the Troubles started again in Northern Ireland. My grandmother lived in Belfast at the time, and my father would drive us there to visit her. When we came to the border, we were met by heavily armed border militia and the streets of Belfast were filled with trucks. The fear was palpable.

In response to the violence, artists created murals to either commemorate events or to communicate their hope for peace. The majority of the murals which were created along Falls Road and Shankill Road in Belfast reflect either the republican or loyalist political beliefs. When looked at together, they tell a tale of hardship and violence, but also of hope. For instance, murals depicting the 1981 hunger strike during which ten people died drawing international attention, commemorate the event. The leader of the hunger strike was an IRA member called Bobby Sands, his election into parliament gained international attention before his death. In fact, the hunger strike radicalised nationalist politics, and was one of the driving forces that enabled Sinn Féin to become a mainstream political party.







So, whether to advocate for peace or engage people in the struggle for justice, murals play an important role in mediating social change. In the case of the murals in Northern Ireland, the arts were not only used in an non-violent activist way, but also as a means to build peace and heal the community. Artists can raise awareness of latent local issues - or issues that are at the forefront of everyone's mind. Another example would be the the murals painted by Diego Rivera illustrating the repressed worker. These murals reflect not only Rivera's own communist leanings but also the political upheaval of the times and raised awareness of their struggle.

I find myself reflecting on this as I am very interested in the use of arts as a tool to facilitate community healing. The murals in Northern Ireland and Mexico City, the arts, were created as a means of public pedagogy and non-violent activism raising public awareness of issues and increase understanding and sympathy of others. At other times  the arts may be used as a means towards gaining solace. In Kenya during the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, song was used when a particularly violent testimony was heard. Song, in this instance, seems to have been not only therapeutic for the audience of the Commission who had just acted as witnesses by listening to stories of human rights violations, it appears to have eased the stress for the witness and the commissioners.

So in order for arts to be used in a productive way during community healing, it important for to reflect on when to use the arts, in what instance to use them (consider environment) and what artistic medium is best suited for what situation. So really, the what, the when and the how are important considerations when using the arts in peace building approaches.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, yes...how does one decide what medium is most appropriate? Is it intuitive? Is it cultural; tradition? For instance in North America there are so many different cultures...but I stood in a community welcome circle once that was full of people who did not speak each other's language and the leader/facilitator was to lead us in song. I was not sure HOW we would be able to do this...would she automatically get people to sing in English? No...she got us to harmonize...and we sang sounds...happy ones that unified us with the amazing harmonies we produced. But I am still intrigued about how one determines the appropriate medium and when the right time is to conduct community healing through art...k

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm thouroughly enjoying your blog - when i get the chance to read it. Of course the Irish link resonates with me on a very deep level (as you well know) If you haven't already had a read,I would recommend getting your hands on Bobby’s Diary which is available for purchase online, just about everywhere.I've fallen upon the poetry of Bobby Sands as a direct result of my deep interest in music. Some of Chrisy Moore's beautiful recordings E.G. "I wish I was back home in Derry" were adapted from Bobby's poetry - this allowed me to fall upon some of his other works.As a result I am surprised that he isn't more well known for his writing in addtion to his ultimate sacrafice as a hunger striker. From what I have read about his life and imprisonment, I did not doubt that Bobby knew he would very well have to die. Optimistic yes, hopeful yes, but a realist when he viewed his situation and decided to proceed on the hunger strike. I suppose I'm just thinking about poetry as being very much an irish medium and as a follow on from the previous comment is it intuitive,cultural or tradition? - it's a great question!
    I'm going to sign off with one of Bobby's poems which I think is very appropriate when we think about "The Role of Women in Community Healing" I've always loved this poem - I first heard it at a poetry recital. Is this how we're trying to heal as a community?
    I'm looking forward to your next post!

    Dear Mum

    Dear Mum, I know you’re always there
    To help and guide me with all your care,
    You nursed and fed me and made me strong
    To face the world and all its wrong.

    What can I write to you this day
    For a line or two would never pay
    For care and time you gave to me
    Through long hard years unceasingly.

    How you found strength I do not know
    How you managed I’ll never know,
    Struggling and striving without a break
    Always there and never late.

    You prayed for me and loved me more
    How could I ask for anymore
    And reared me up to be like you
    But I haven’t a heart as kind as you.

    A guide to me in times of plight
    A princess like a star so bright
    For life would never have been the same
    If I hadn’t of learned what small things came.


    So forgive me Mum just a little more
    For not loving you so much before,
    For life and love you gave to me
    I give my thanks for eternity.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment will be published once it has been moderated